Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Make a Wish: Dandelion Nails


I wish I had something more lighthearted planned for my first blog post, but my nails are what they are right now, and they came from a very bittersweet place.


I loved making wishes on dandelions when I was younger - who didn't? Thinking about it now, I haven't wished on one in years! As of this moment, I've decided that the next time I see a dandelion, I'm going to pick it and make a wish on it no matter what I'm doing! Anyways, my point is, dandelions give me a sun-kissed, smiley feeling.



But they also remind me of someone who is no longer a part of my life.


About a year and a half ago, my best friend and I had a falling out. We both did things wrong, and we both could have handled the culmination of it all a lot better, but we're no longer friends. Even now, I don't know if it's better this way, or if I wish that we could reconnect.


The bitter and sweet part of this design comes from a tattoo. She has a beautiful tattoo of a dandelion with the seeds blowing away, which is what inspired this design after I had a dream about her a couple nights ago.



I'm really happy with how they turned out! I wanted something light, but not bright since the weather here is not quite cooperating with spring just yet. You can use any neutral or pastel color (I originally wanted a light blue, but I didn't bring mine with me in the move) and a dotting tool, or even a toothpick to make the dandelion seeds. I actually used a toothpick and a polish called "Tweed Jacket" that I got from Aritaum when I was in Korea that already has the black and white glitter.




There are tiny, tiny pieces of black and white glitter in the polish that I used to dot around the seeds, but those can easily be made with a clean toothpick and black and white polish. And please excuse my nasty, dried out cuticles - it's still cold and I haven't been very diligent with my lotion.



We're not friends anymore, and I'm not sure how or if things will change between us, or if I even want them to, but I don't want to hold on to that anger and that sadness. I want to remember that she was the closest thing to a sister that I had for 12 years, and that that time of our lives doesn't define the friendship we had. Even now, when we haven't spoken in a year and a half, something good has come into my life because of her.

And maybe I'll use my next dandelion wish on her.

No comments:

Post a Comment